- +44 1223 766961
Dr Sam Waller
Inclusive Design Research Associate
- MEng (Hons), Mechanical Engineering, UMIST (now University of Manchester), 2002;
- PhD, Structural Engineering, Cambridge University, 2006;
Sam Waller is a researcher within the inclusive design group at the Engineering Design Centre, working on the i~design research programme. In his first year with the group, Sam produced the inclusive design toolkit, which is freely available at www.inclusivedesigntoolkit.com, and can also be purchased as a book. Subsequently, Sam championed the development, testing and launch of two additional software tools for the toolkit website, namely the Exclusion Calculator and Vision and Hearing Impairment Simulator. Sam's research interests include:
- Analysing population statistics and creating design tools that enable practising designers to make products that offer a better user experience across a wider range of users.
- Understanding the extent to which the results from a small set of user trials capture the true diversity of capability evident within a national population.
- Using variable levels of impairment simulation to measure the demands that particular tasks place on user abilities, which enables a prediction of the corresponding exclusion.
- Inclusive design
- Numerical analysis
- Waller, S.D., Williams, E.Y., Langdon, P.M., Clarkson P.J. 'Understanding the co-occurrence of ability loss.' In Langdon P.M., Clarkson P.J., and Robinson P. (eds) Designing inclusive interactions. Springer, London, UK (2010).
- Waller, S.D., Williams, E.Y., Langdon, P.M., Clarkson P.J. 'Quantifying exclusion for tasks related to product interaction.' In Langdon P.M., Clarkson P.J., and Robinson P. (eds) Designing inclusive interactions. Springer, London, UK (2010).
- Waller, S.D., Langdon, P.M., Clarkson P.J. 'Using disability data to estimate design exclusion.' Int. J. Universal Access Information Society. Accepted for publication. Available online at www.springerlink.com. DOI 10.1007/s10209-009-0168-x (2009).
- Waller, S.D. and Clarkson, P.J. 'Tools for inclusive design.' In Stephanidis C. (ed.) The Universal Access Handbook. Taylor and Francis, London, UK. ISBN 9780805862805 (2009).
- Waller S.D. 'Optimisation of hierarchical and branched compression structures.' VDM Verlag Dr. Muller. Saarbrucken, Germany. ISBN 9783639070064 (2008).
- Waller, S.D., Langdon, P.M. and Clarkson, P.J. 'Converting disability data into a format suitable for estimating design exclusion. ' In Langdon P.M., Clarkson P.J., and Robinson P. (eds) Designing inclusive futures. Springer, London UK. ISBN 9781848002104. pp3-14 (2008).
- Clarkson, P.J., Coleman, R., Hosking, I. and Waller, S.D. 'Inclusive design toolkit, ' Engineering Design Centre, University of Cambridge, UK. ISBN 9780954524326 Available at www.inclusivedesigntoolkit.com (2007).
- Mechanics of Novel Compression structures, Phd thesis, Department of Engineering, Cambridge University. Online pdf (2006)
Full Publications List
The University of Cambridge,
Department of Engineering,
Phone: +44 1223 766961
Fax: +44 1223 332662