Dr Sam Waller
Research AssociateResearch group: Inclusive Design Group
Telephone: +44 1223 766961
- MEng (Hons), Mechanical Engineering, UMIST (now University of Manchester), 2002;
- PhD, Structural Engineering, Cambridge University, 2006;
Sam Waller is a researcher within the inclusive design group at the Engineering Design Centre, working on the i~design research programme. In his first year with the group, Sam produced the inclusive design toolkit, which is freely available at www.inclusivedesigntoolkit.com, and can also be purchased as a book. Subsequently, Sam championed the development, testing and launch of two additional software tools for the toolkit website, namely the Exclusion Calculator and Vision and Hearing Impairment Simulator. Sam's research interests include:
- Analysing population statistics and creating design tools that enable practising designers to make products that offer a better user experience across a wider range of users.
- Understanding the extent to which the results from a small set of user trials capture the true diversity of capability evident within a national population.
- Using variable levels of impairment simulation to measure the demands that particular tasks place on user abilities, which enables a prediction of the corresponding exclusion.
- Waller, S.D., Williams, E.Y., Langdon, P.M., Clarkson P.J. Understanding the co-occurrence of ability loss. In Langdon P.M., Clarkson P.J., and Robinson P. (eds) Designing inclusive interactions. Springer, London, UK (2010).
- Waller, S.D., Williams, E.Y., Langdon, P.M., Clarkson P.J. Quantifying exclusion for tasks related to product interaction. In Langdon P.M., Clarkson P.J., and Robinson P. (eds) Designing inclusive interactions. Springer, London, UK (2010).
- Waller, S.D., Langdon, P.M., Clarkson P.J. Using disability data to estimate design exclusion. Int. J. Universal Access Information Society. Accepted for publication. Available online at www.springerlink.com. DOI 10.1007/s10209-009-0168-x (2009).
- Waller, S.D. and Clarkson, P.J. Tools for inclusive design. In Stephanidis C. (ed.) The Universal Access Handbook. Taylor and Francis, London, UK. ISBN 9780805862805 (2009).
- Waller S.D. Optimisation of hierarchical and branched compression structures. VDM Verlag Dr. Muller. Saarbrucken, Germany. ISBN 9783639070064 (2008).
- Waller, S.D., Langdon, P.M. and Clarkson, P.J. Converting disability data into a format suitable for estimating design exclusion. In Langdon P.M., Clarkson P.J., and Robinson P. (eds) Designing inclusive futures. Springer, London UK. ISBN 9781848002104. pp3-14 (2008).
- Clarkson, P.J., Coleman, R., Hosking, I. and Waller, S.D. Inclusive design toolkit, Engineering Design Centre, University of Cambridge, UK. ISBN 9780954524326 Available at www.inclusivedesigntoolkit.com (2007). Mechanics of Novel Compression structures, Phd thesis, Department of Engineering, Cambridge University. Online pdf (2006).