- +44 1223 748247
Professor Michael F Ashby
Prof MF Ashby
Royal Society Research Professor, Principal Investigator, Engineering Design Centre
- CBE, 1997
- F.Eng., 1993
- FRS, 1979
- Ph.D., Cambridge University, Cambridge 1961
- M.A., Cambridge University, Cambridge 1959
- B.A., Natural Science (Metallurgy), Cambridge University, Cambridge, 1957 (First Class Honours)
Michael Ashby has been associated with the Engineering Design Centre since its inception, as one of the three Principal Investigators. He received his Bachelors degree and Doctorate in Natural Sciences at the University of Cambridge and then joined the Institute for Metal Physics at the University of Göttingen, Germany, working with Professor P. Haasen from 1962 to 1965. From 1966 to 1973 he held the post of Professor of Applied Physics in the Division of Engineering and Applied Physics at Harvard University. He is a member of the Royal Society, the Royal Academy of Engineering and the U.S. National Academy of Engineering. Since 1973 he has been a member of the Cambridge University Engineering Department where he holds the post of Royal Society Research Professor. Professor Ashby was the Editor of Acta Metallurgica from 1974 to 1995 and is now Editor of Progress in Materials Science.
- Ashby, Mike and Johnson, Kara 'Materials and Design, the Art and Science of Materials Selection in Product Design' Butterworth Heinemann, Oxford, 2002 ISBN 0-7506-5554-2
- ASHBY, M F. 'How to Write a Paper'
- ASHBY, M F. 'Materials Selection and Process in Mechanical Design.' Butterworth Heinemann, Oxford, 1999 ISBN 0-7506-4357-9
- ASHBY, M.F. and CEBON. D. 'Case studies in Materials Selection.' First Edition, Granta Design, Cambridge, 1996, Second Edition, Butterworth-Heinemann, Oxford, 1999.
- ASHBY, M.F. and GIBSON, L.J. 'Cellular Solids Structure and Properties.' Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 1997 ISBN 0-521-49911-9
- ASHBY, M.F.and JONES, D.R.H. 'Engineering Materials 1, Second Edition.' Butterworth Heineman, Oxford, 1996.
- ASHBY, M.F. and JONES, D.R.H. 'Engineering Materials 2, Second Edition.' Butterworth Heineman, Oxford, 1998.
- ASHBY, M.F. and WATERMAN, N.A. 'The Chapman and Hale Material Selector.' Chapman and Hall, London, Volumes 1-3, 1996.
Full Publications List
The University of Cambridge,
Department of Engineering,
Phone: +44 1223 748247
Fax: +44 1223 332662