Dr Joy Goodman-Deane (nee Goodman)
- B.A.(Hons), Mathematics and Computation, Oxford University, 1996
- PhD, Computing Science, Glasgow University, 2002
Joy Goodman-Deane has been a Research Associate in the Inclusive Design group since 2004. Her research looks at how to enable companies to design more inclusive products, i.e. products that are suitable for a wider range of people, including those who are older or have disabilities. Her interests focus on developing tools and methods to help support designers in conducting inclusive design. These include the Impairment Simulators and Exclusion Calculator, which can be found on the Inclusive Design Toolkit. She has also helped to design and analyse a pilot survey for gathering capability data on the UK population that is well suited for use in design.
Joy is also currently working on the SSA Toolkit, an online toolkit to help healthcare practitioners to examine the risks in healthcare systems before they occur.
Other recent work has included a study of distributed meetings and how they can be made more effective, and an examination of the impact of the use of communications technologies on well-being.
- GOODMAN-DEANE, J. , BRADLEY, M. and CLARKSON, P.J. (2017). Supporting an ageing population. Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET). Available from the IET website.
- WARD, J., CLARKSON, P.J. and GOODMAN-DEANE, J. (2017). SSA Toolkit. Online toolkit available at www.ssatoolkit.com.
- GOODMAN-DEANE, J., WALLER, S., BRADLEY, M., YOXALL, A., WIGGINS, D. and CLARKSON, P.J. (2016). Designing inclusive packaging. Chapter 6 in Burgess, P. (ed). Integrating the packaging and food and drink experience: A route map to consumer satisfaction
- GOODMAN-DEANE, J., WALLER, S., LATHAM, K., PRICE, H., TENNETI, R. AND CLARKSON, P.J. (2016). Differences in vision performance in different scenarios and implications for design. Applied Ergonomics 55, July 2016, pp. 149-155. Available open access from the journal's website .
- GOODMAN-DEANE, J., MIECZAKOWSKI, A., JOHNSON, D., GOLDHABER, T AND CLARKSON, P.J. (2016). The impact of communication technologies on life and relationship satisfaction. Computers in Human Behaviour 57, pp 219-229.
- CORNISH, K. GOODMAN-DEANE, J., RUGGERI, K. AND CLARKSON, P.J. (2015). Visual Accessibility in Graphic Design: a client-designer communication failure. Design Studies 40, Sep 2015, pp. 176-195. Available from the journal's website.
- GOODMAN-DEANE, J., MIECZAKOWSKI, A., PATMORE, J. AND CLARKSON, P.J. (2015). Effective teleconferencing: An international investigation of the factors influencing the effectiveness of distributed meetings. International Journal of Business Research and Development (IJBRD) 4(4). Available open access from the journal's website.
- GOODMAN-DEANE, J., WARD, J., HOSKING, I. and CLARKSON, P.J. (2014). A comparison of methods currently used in inclusive design. Applied Ergonomics.
- TENNETI, R., GOODMAN-DEANE, J., LANGDON, P., WALLER, S., RUGGERI, K., CLARKSON, P.J., HUPPERT, F.A. (2014). Design and delivery of a national pilot survey of capabilities. Accepted for International Journal of Human Factors and Ergonomics.
- GOODMAN-DEANE, J., WALLER, S., COLLINS, A.-C., CLARKSON, J. (2013). Simulating vision loss: What levels of impairment are actually represented? Ergonomics & Human Factors 2013. Cambridge, Institute of Ergonomics & Human Factors. (Best Paper award)
- GOODMAN-DEANE J., LANGDON, P. and CLARKSON, J. (2010). Key Influences on the User-Centred Design Process. Journal of Engineering Design 21(2-3), pp. 345-373, April-June 2010.
- A fuller list can be found on the research part of Joy's personal home page.