Process Management Group
Principal Investigator: Professor P John Clarkson
Improving design process performance
The Process Management Group researches the role and nature of process modelling in the successful delivery of new products and services. In particular, we are researching how modelling and analysing the design process can influence the timely introduction and commercial success of a product:
- by generating a greater understanding of the nature and demands of complex system design;
- by challenging current planning practice and risk management in complex system design;
- by developing novel and useful design process improvement tools.
Our research is driven by practice. We are currently working with Rolls-Royce, Jaguar Land Rover, BT, BP, Laing O’Rourke, Zurich, Siemens and others to deliver on a variety of research topics and to define the priorities for future study.
We have developed a novel approach to design process mapping and analysis, known as Signposting, to assist in the management of complex design processes. A software tool, the Cambridge Advanced Modeller (CAM), which supports Signposting and the use of Dependency Structure Matrices has been developed and is being used in industry. An edited book on Design Process Improvement was published by Springer in 2005.
- Professor P John Clarkson (Group Leader and Principal Investigator)
- Dr Nigel Ball (Post-doctoral Senior Research Associate on the JLR PSi project)
- Dr Tariq Masood (Post-doctoral Senior Research Associate on the LoR AMSCI project)
- Dr Mohammad Hassannezhad (Post-doctoral Research Associate on the BT and RR projects)
- Seena Nair (Research Associate and Senior Software Developer for CAM)
- Mohamed Hani El Reifi (Research Associate on the LoR AMSCI project)
- Sara Hajnassiri (PhD student researching design thinking)
- Jakob Maier (PhD student researching model granularity on the BT project)
- Amanda Goodger (MPhil student researching systems thinking)
- Daniel Shapiro (PhD student researching process change on the RR Siloet project)
- Hilario Xin Chen (PhD student researching resource management on the RR Siloet project)
- Abraham Audu (MPhil student researching process analytics on the BP project)
- Jonathan Mak (PhD student researching process management on the BT project)
- Weam Aridi (PhD student researching process management on the JLR PSi project)
Cambridge Advanced Modeller
Software platform to model linkage systems for design process improvement.