Change Management Group
Principal Investigator: Professor P John Clarkson
Modelling Change in Products
The Change Management Group researches the impact of change in complex systems, focusing on how changes propagate between elements of a system, be they components, activities or people. In particular, we are researching how knowledge of change propagation can influence the development of product architectures and design processes:
- by understanding the behaviour of change in complex systems;
- by challenging current management of change practice in product design;
- by developing novel and useful design change management tools.
Our research is driven by practice. We are currently working with Rolls-Royce, Airbus, GKN Aerospace, BT, Laing O’Rourke and others to deliver on a variety of research topics and to define the priorities for future study.
We have developed a novel approach to change propagation analysis, known as the Change Prediction Method (CPM), to assist in the management of complex systems. A software tool, the Cambridge Advanced Modeller (CAM), which supports CPM and the use of Dependency Structure Matrices has been developed and is being used in industry. An edited book on Design Process Improvement was published by Springer in 2005.
- Professor P John Clarkson (Group Leader and Principal Investigator)
- Dr Tariq Masood (Post-doctoral Senior Research Associate on the LoR AMSCI project)
- Dr Timoleon Kipouros (Post-doctoral Research Associate on the TOICA project)
- Dr Marie-Lise Moullec (Post-doctoral Research Associate on the BT project)
- Seena Nair (Research Associate and Senior Software Developer for CAM)
- Daniel Shapiro (PhD student researching process change on the RR Siloet project)
- Hatice Olmez (PhD student researching change management on the Honeywell project)
- Jonathan Mak (PhD student researching process management on the BT project)
Change Prediction within the CAM Tool (CPM-in-CAM)
Developing and implementing software to support change prediction using CAM, the EDC's modelling and simulation package.
Visualising Complex Products and Processes
Finding representations that help designing complex products.
Management of Change
A joint collaboration with BP and MIT to improve change management processes and understanding within BP
Engineering Change Impact Notification
Developing methods for assessing the impact of engineering changes.
Change Impact Analysis at the Interface of Systems Engineering and Software Design
Deriving a prediction of how a system design change impacts the embedded software design.
Change Prediction Software Tool
Giving designers and managers the ability to assess the risk associated with a change before it is implemented.
Understanding the influence of change analysis on concept and strategy selection.
A collaboration with BT to develop their process architecting strategy, focusing on the standardisation of the design and modelling of service delivery and repair processes
Study and Instrumentation of Decision Taking in Dynamic Social Networks
A collaboration with the MoD and Royal Navy examining adaptation and change decisions in the decision-making (designing), decision-taking (planning) and campaign environments