High Performance and Robust Systems - HIPARSYS
Research Theme: Knowledge Management
Companies want to move from evolving design requirements to understanding customer requirements, from reactive design quality to predictive design quality by means of robust design and production planning.
The project's main focus is on powerful tools (logical, mathematical, statistical) that can be applied in this process.
Variations in design characteristics (geometric and material) cause problems and failures , which in turn cause direct and indirect losses. If causes of these variations can be identified, corrective actions could be taken early in the design process.
- To develop software tools that can efficiently support reasoning about designcharacteristics that are critical to the design's quality.
Existing good practice in developing and implementing tools to support Design for X will be followed. The tools will
The project is at an early stage, the following tasks are being performed:
- evaluate literature on and existing tools for Design for X;
- evaluate how DRed (a tool for capturing design rationale) can be used to create the cause and effect diagrams in a collaborative setting during brain-storming sessions;
- extend the functionality of DRed to support close integration with MS Excel spreadsheets since MS Excel spreadsheets are widely used in industry to store, perform calculations on and plot numerical data.
The context of the project is the Design for Process Excellence initiative that is being currently introduced at Rolls Royce.
- Rolls Royce
- DePuy International Ltd
- The University of Southampton
- The University of Sheffield
- Bracewell, R.H. and Wallace, K.M. (2003) 'A tool for capturingdesign rationale' in ICED03, 14th International Conference on EngineeringDesign, Stockholm, Sweden, 185-186.
- Bracewell, R.H. (2003) 'A method and tool for increasing the efficiencyof a design process', UK, GB0319170.7, 15 August 2003 application filed.
- Culley, S., Duffy, A., McMahon, C. and Wallace, K.M. (2001)'Design methods for performance and sustainability. Proceedings of the 13thinternational conference on engineering design ICED01', Professional EngineeringPublishing.