- +44 1223 748563
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell, FRMS MBCS CITP CEng
Research Associate, Cambridge Engineering Design Centre
- B.A., Computer Science, Cambridge University, 1994
- Ph.D., Engineering (Knowledge-Based Engineering for the Scanning Electron Microscope), Cambridge University, 1998
Dr Nicholas Caldwell joined the Engineering Department in 1995 as a Research Student, eventually transforming into a Research Associate in 1998.
He continued his doctoral research into applied artificial intelligence for microscopy as a Research Associate under Dr David Holburn and Bernie Breton, with funding from LEO Electron Microscopy (now Carl Zeiss SMT) and the Isaac Newton Trust.
From 1998 to 2000, he also worked with the Engineering Design Centre to develop web-based tools (such as WebCADET, a decision support and knowledge management system) to support design research. In this, he was assisting Dr Paul Rodgers (formerly of the Engineering Design Centre, now a Reader at Napier University) and Dr Avon Huxor (of the University of Middlesex).
He became a formal member of the Multimedia Group in 2000 to assist with the development of the Department's undergraduate prospectus in both paper and electronic formats. He was responsible as either lead supervisor or co-supervisor for all the fourth-year undergraduate engineering students who are undertaking final-year projects for the Multimedia Group in the areas of virtual lecture course development and information dissemination via emergent communications technologies.
Following the disbandment of the Multimedia Group, he was a developer for the Online Tutor project, an initiative funded by the Cambridge-MIT Institute to support the teaching of programming languages via computing practicals.
Since January 2006, he has been a full member of the Engineering Design Centre. He has worked on the Knowledge & Information Management Through-Life (KIM) project, mainly on the development of a set of principles for through-life management of engineering information, has been heavily involved in the design and development of the Inclusive Design Toolkit website for the Inclusive Design group within the EDC, and was part of the NECTISE consortium with BAE Systems. He is currently hard at work on multiple projects, including change management research within the EU Framework Programme 7 CRESCENDO consortium (led by Airbus) and in collaboration with BP, and ongoing work in electron microscopy with Carl Zeiss as well as occasional software development for the Inclusive Design group.
He remains active as a software demonstrator for the second-year Engineering Integrated Design Project and supervises final-year undergraduate projects as appropriate.
He is a Fellow of the Royal Microscopical Society, a Member of the British Computer Society, a Chartered Engineer, and a Chartered IT Professional.
- P Heisig, NHM Caldwell, K GREBICI, & PJ CLARKSON, P.J. 'Exploring knowledge and information needs in engineering from the past and for the future - results from a survey' Design Studies, 31 (5), 499-532, 2010
- MP De Lessio, NHM Caldwell, DC Wynn, & PJ Clarkson 'Analysing plan content using a matrix-based approach"' 12th International Dependency and Structure Modelling Conference (DSM 2010), Cambridge, UK
- DC Wynn, NHM Caldwell, & PJ Clarkson, P.J. 'Can change prediction help prioritize redesign work in future engineering systems?' 11th International Design Conference (DESIGN 2010), Dubrovnik, Croatia.
- ECY Koh, NHM Caldwell, & PJ Clarkson, P.J. 'Using a matrix-based approach to model change propagation' 11th International Design Structure Matrix Conference, DSM'09, Greenville, South Carolina, USA
- NHM Caldwell, BC Breton, & DM Holburn 'Web-Based Expert Systems: Information Clients versus Knowledge Servers' in Szczepaniak, Piotr S., Segovia, Javier, Kacprzyk, Janusz, & Zadeh, Lofti A. (Editors), Intelligent Exploration of the Web, pp.404-419, 2002.
- PA Rodgers, NHM Caldwell, AP Huxor & PJ Clarkson 'The Management of Concept Design Knowledge in Modern Product Development Organizations' Computer Integrated Manufacturing, Vol. 14, 1, pp.108 - 115, 2001.
- PA Rodgers, NHM Caldwell, & AP Huxor 'An Internet-based approach to the capture and reuse of knowledge in design' in R.Roy (editor), Industrial Knowledge Management: A Micro-level Approach, pp.249 - 263, 2001.
- NHM Caldwell, PJ Clarkson, PA Rodgers, & AP Huxor 'Web-based knowledge management for distributed design' IEEE Intelligent Systems, Vol. 15, 3, pp.40 - 47, 2000.
- PA Rodgers, AP Huxor, & NHM Caldwell 'Design Support Using Distributed Web-Based AI Tools' Research in Engineering Design, Vol. 11, 1, pp.31 - 44, 1999.
- NHM Caldwell, BC Breton, & DM Holburn 'Remote Instrument Diagnosis on the Internet' IEEE Intelligent Systems, Vol. 13, 3, pp.70 - 76, 1998.
Full Publications List
The University of Cambridge,
Department of Engineering,
Phone: +44 1223 748563
Fax: +44 1223 332662