Miss Miying Yang
PhD StudentResearch group: Knowledge Management Group
Telephone: +44 1223 748567
Miying joined the Engineering Design Centre (EDC) as a PhD researcher in October 2011. She is supervised by Mr Aylmer Johnson and Prof. Steve Evans. Miying’s research seeks to understand how sustainability could be integrated into the design of Product-Service Systems (PSS). This research synthesises the concepts of life cycle thinking (e.g. from design, manufacture, distribution, use, recovery to final disposal), new forms of value (i.e. value captured, value uncaptured) and Triple Bottom Line, and proposes a framework for sustainable value creation in PSS business models. She also develops a Sustainable Value Analysis Tool (SVAT) to identify value creation opportunities throughout the entire life cycle of product. The tool has been used in a number of case studies in servitizing manufacturing companies in Europe and China.
• Yang, M., Vladimirova, D., Rana, P. and Evans, S. (2014) ‘Sustainable value analysis tool for value creation’, Asian Journal of Management Science and Applications, Vol. 1, No. 4, pp. 312-332.
• Yang, M., Xu, F., Gu, X., etc. (2011) ‘Enterprise knowledge network based on cognitive navigated mode’, Journal of Zhejiang University (Engineering Science), Vol. 45, No. 7, pp.1181-1186.
• Yang, M., Evans, S., Vladimirova, D., Holgado, M., Rana, P., (2015) ‘Product-Service Systems as Sustainable Business Models: theoretical and empirical findings’, Global Cleaner Production & Sustainable Consumption Conference, 1 - 4 November 2015, Barcelona, Spain
• Holgado, M., Evans, S., Vladimirova D., and Yang M. (2015), ‘An internal perspective of business model innovation in manufacturing companies’, Proceedings of the IEEE 17th Conference on Business Informatics, Lisbon, Portugal, pp. 9-16.
• Yang, M., Vladimirova, D., Rana, P. and Evans, S. (2013), ‘Developing the Sustainable Value Analysis Tool (SVAT)’, Asian Conference of Management Science and Applications (ACMSA2013), Kunming, Yunnan, China
• Yang, M., Rana, P. and Evans, S. (2013), ‘Using Value Analysis to Drive Sustainable Product-Service System (PSS)’, Proceedings of The Spring Servitization Conference 2013: Servitization in the multi-organisation enterprise (ISBN: 978 19058 66656), Aston Business School, Birmingham, UK.
• Yang, M., Rana, P. and Evans, S. (2013), ‘Product Service System (PSS) Life Cycle Value Analysis for Sustainability’, Proceedings of The 6th conference on Design and Manufacture for Sustainable Development (ISBN: 978-1-84919-709-0), Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, China. (Outstanding paper award)
• Quick guide on Sustainable Value Analysis Tool: http://www.industrialsustainability.org/media/43462- Sustainable_Value_Anlaysis_Tool.pdf